Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

number twenty two: cherry blossoms

so this afternoon was a terrible one. first, i'm still not 100% over the great flu pandemic. and i don't care if i'm using the term pandemic incorrectly, i'm all for exaggerating. but in all honestly, the sickness is pretty over. i even ate for the first real time in three days. it was glorious.

the second thing is really what made my day rough.

so i'm driving down 405 on my way to work this afternoon and i notice my heat gauge sky rocket out of no where. i think to myself hmmm, well that's funny! let's just ignore it and hope it knocks it off. that's my policy when something goes wrong with anything (car... friendship... boyfriend... weight gain...) and most times, things work themselves out.

well, i get off the freeway and am at a stoplight and my car dies. in an intersection. suddenly smoke starts coming out from under my hood.

i was that girl. in a sundress. and boots. wearing over sized sunglasses. and some might even consider me blonde. PANICKING with a stalled car. saying i looked like a twit is probably an understatement.

somehow by the grace of god i got my car to start without causing a major traffic incident and managed to park it at work. i was in a tizzy, so i did what i always do when something is going awry. i called my daddy.

when he heard me say "my car won't start" he promptly hung up on me. my father never hangs up on me. he occasionally raises his voice (like with my first car which i killed since no one ever told me i needed to put oil in a car... his bad though really... how is a 16 year old girl supposed to just know that, right?). but i don't know if he's ever hung up on me.

it was then that this day could have gone from poo on your shoe bad to pooping your pants bad.

however, i didn't melt down like i normally tend to do. i'm reeeeeal good at going from cool and collected to total japan style nuclear reactor threat in less than 30 seconds flat. too soon for that reference?

today instead i locked my car door, watched as smoke billowed out from under my hood, and walked towards work. and then something caught my attention.

first, it was that the sun was out. rare for washington, esp since i've seemingly been engulfed in darkness lately from being camped out in the sick ward of my basement bedroom. it was a sunny day and then i realized oh my goodness, the cherry blossoms are out in full force.



cherry blossoms, you see, equate to spring. which equates to sunshine. and sunshine equates to sundresses. and sundresses equate to happiness. i could do a mathematical equation for you to see exactly how this all works out, but i won't.


spring isn't my favorite season. indian summer takes that prize. however this year winter seems like it's stretched on and on and on. and then on some more. i know it's washington, so i know not to get my hopes up. our sunshine isn't going to last, it never does. it'll be raining by thursday.

however, the cherry blossoms are here. and my dad called back and apologized for hanging up on me. and my car's now running again. and so today, today is a good day. and soon enough i'll wake up to greet the heat in a new summer dress and bare feet.

but at least today i've got cherry blossoms. and the best dad in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment