Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

number ten: pretty songs

i'm a typical girl in countless ways. i love bad romantic comedies. i wear dresses almost exclusively. i drink bitch beer. another thing that unites me with many other ovary-possessing humans is that the music i prefer tends to be soft and sweet with lyrics revolving about romance. or the lack thereof.

i've been spending a lot of time applying for jobs lately. like 3-6 hours per day. sounds terrible? tell me about it. it's consumed a great deal of my free time and in the process, is starting to kill my spirit about my future. i've always believed that i am the sort of person capable of anything. i'm impossibly charming, relentlessly driven, capable of meeting every challenge, and (clearly) shamelessly confident. you'd think i'd be a hot commodity. but that appears not to be the case after submitting easily 60something applications and rarely moving forward to getting an interview. saying that this all is frustrating would be a giant understatement.

the thing that's been keeping me sane through this process and preventing me from getting an ulcer from all the stress is the pretty music i always play in the background.

i'm kind of a pandora junkie. which i think is the healthiest sort of junkie to be. the kate nash station plays the sort of music that tends to be upbeat, maybe at times slightly melancholy. for whatever reason these pretty tunes (sung by ladies currently employed and probably not living in their parent's basements) put me at ease while at the same time allows me to be sort of sad about this process. and then, out of no where, a fantastic, upbeat, excitement producing song comes on and all my motivation is restored. and i suddenly feel less like the unhirable history major i apparently appear to be on paper and more like who i really am: the woman who any organization would be damn lucky to have on their payroll.

because i'm worth every. last. cent.

days like today i need to remind myself that good things will happen. people always tell me that, and i tend to write it off. i'm a realist, but about my future i am working on regaining the optimism that's gotten me this far. so tristan prettyman, keep singing and keeping me on track so the rest of my life can hurry up and start.

No comments:

Post a Comment