Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

number sixteen: humble love

today, february 16th, is my parent's 26th wedding anniversary.

i should note that last year was their 25th, which i totally forgot about, and failed to do anything special for. and being the dirt poor 23 year old i am, i can't really do anything special for them this year either. life's the poops sometimes huh?

back the point though.

a few years back when i was in the only "serious" relationship i've ever encountered, i got to talking to my mom about her and my dad. you know the usual- how'd you meet, when did you guys get married, how'd you know he was "the one," etc. i didn't get a lot of solid answers, other than that they met at a party. i like to think she fell in love with his mustache first, and his sense of humor after. those are the two things i've always associated with my dad- a sweet stache (which he recently shaved despite my protest) and his amazing humor.

from where i've stood the past 23 years, my parents seem to have a humble love. they're not showy, they just seem to be confident and comfortable in their roles of husband and wife, father and mother. this is something i never fully appreciated until recently.

my parents are fantastic. they're the kind of parents every kid wishes they had. for instance: yesterday i was in a car accident. my 10th i believe. and i did what i always do- call my dad crying hysterically and then let him tell my mom. i was able to drive home and before my mom could even say anything, she took her weeping 20-something daughter inside and hugged me until i calmed down. which clearly took a while. they never yelled. they just reassured me that everything would be okay. which i hope will still be the case once we get the estimate from the chick i hit.

that incident and their reaction is one of the reasons i love my parents. they have always been there for me and put my sanity first and foremost. they truly take care of me, and i am so lucky.

that my parents have been married 26 years seems impossible. that they've been putting up with my crap for 23 years seems even more impossible.


i might never know what goes into making a 26 plus year marriage work, and therefore never truly appreciate everything they've been through. however, i will say i'm thankful. i'm so thankful that my parents met, fell in love, and got married. and then proceeded to be really stupid and have my brother and i.


i doubt my parents will ever read this. i just want the world to know that today is their anniversary. and i wish into cyberspace that they have many, many more anniversaries to come. i'm already looking forward to throwing them the party they deserve for their 50th.

my parents are the very definition of utterly wonderful, and i hope someday that i have the sort of humble love they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment